
Time stood still today... I could have never prepared myself for this day. I was overcome with so many emotions- exhausted at breakfast from getting 4 hours of sleep and a 7 hour time difference, excited as I got on the bus to go to school for the first day, anxious as we drove past townships and reality began to set in, unprepared as we sat in the principal's office, broken as I heard the statistics of the school, overwhelmed as I saw the conditions of our school and the sweet sweet children filling the area, loved as I walked by smiling children just wanting to hold my hand and say hello, joy-filled as I entered my new classroom of fourth graders, embarrassed as I attempted to grade a spelling test in Xhosa and then call out 45 names to get their grades, empowered as I took over the class with my partner Ashley after our teacher left for the day with no warning, confident as we taught 45 students for an hour and a half by ourselves with no plans, and so so so loved and at home as I spent the day with 1,311 students at Emafini Primary School.


When we arrived we learned the statistics of our school. There are 1,311 students that attend Emafini. Over 60% of them live in a township where they have no health access, no sanitation, a one room home, and access to one water tap for over 100,000 people. I already had tears rolling down my cheeks. I wasn't ready for all of the faces that were about to make these statistics a reality. I tried not to have any expectations as we pulled up to the school, and the impact of the surroundings and the beautiful children humbled me beyond anything I could have ever expected. I will never forget the feeling of seeing these precious children for the first time. We toured the school and I was hit with compassion and a tidal wave of love. I just wanted to do something, anything! The wonderful thing is that I got to, and I get to for the next three weeks. I get to teach them! Ashley and I were placed in a fourth grade class with 45 students. We had no idea what our day was about to turn into... We ended up teaching them for an hour and a half by ourselves with no warning or guidance because our teacher left for the day. It was so much fun! I never knew that I could teach a language that I cannot even speak. They were in Xhosa language class when we were left alone. So, we taught Xhosa! We also did math, Simon Says, reading, and music. It has definitely been an adventure. My students have something to say to all of you...
So Molo! Molo means "hello" in Xhosa! Hello from South Africa! This is a special hello to my students at Ogden Elementary School! I told my class here about you and they wanted to give you this special hello:)
It is crazy to think that all of this took place in one day. Time really stood still, and I loved it! Now, I have three weeks to figure out how to teach a class of 45 students, maybe by myself, with a language barrier and barely any resources. I can't wait! Emafini means "sky". Therefore, the school's motto is "The sky is the limit". I feel like this is an appropriate motto for my next couple of weeks... reaching towards the sky.
LOVE! Love "time stood still". So thankful for you!
ReplyDelete