Today was another great day at Emafini! Unexpectedly, we were asked to teach all day long. Ashley and I had 3 different fourth grade classes. We found out that we will have four classes total because they are supposed to switch three times during the day. However, from the past two days we can tell that schedules are not really followed here in South Africa. So, today we just taught what came to mind! We got to do so many things! We made the sound of a rainstorm with movements, learned how to clap out the notes on a musical staff in 4/4 time, did musical math problems, made a bar graph with the students' ages, read aloud, and much more. It was a great day! We are also having a blast teaching the students different classroom management activities! They love repeating a clap or following different movements. Here are some pictures from our musical math lesson to review their music
We have a lunch break everyday from 11:15-12:00. Today, I decided to go outside and hang out with the children. I had so much fun! They taught me how to play net ball, which is kind of like basketball. However, I have no idea what the rules are! Also, I never knew that long, soft hair could be so amazing to so many children. I think that over 50 children circled around me on the pavement just to touch my hair. Then, it turned into a Xhosa lesson from about 30 students. It was wonderful! I am still working on the clicks and the sounds that my mouth just cannot make. :) Here are some of my sweet friends:
Then, it was back to class! It was a wonderful day of teaching! We found out that we will be the teachers for the next 3 weeks! Wow... let the fun begin! After school, Ashley and I went to find the school library. We overheard some people talking about a library and we really needed some books. These are the two rooms that we found:
The picture on the left is the "Workroom". I do not think that it has been used in years... The picture to the right is the "School Library". We did not even know what to do or where to start. Most of this was old paper... there were barely any books. We are blessed... we are very blessed! All that we could do was respond with thankfulness and start brainstorming what we can do to make an impact here at Emafini Primary School. Please keep reading and following our journey... you might be the answer to many of the needs here at our school!

No comments:
Post a Comment